Tuesday 28 February 2012

Topic Proposal - Visual Articulation Project

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/wiless/sets/72157611641574807/


I've chosen a line from a song by Seabear titled "I Sing I Swim". The line is simply, "you've got a diamond under your skin."


The lyric seems to make a brilliant diamond, a jewel I've always felt to be too polished and mature to wear myself, kind of worn and comfortable. The line captures the feeling of understated beauty for me, and the kind of appreciation that comes with true love. The reference to a diamond strikes me as timeless. 


I want to try and get my hands on some old albums of my mom's from when she was around my age. I think the lyric captures the beauty of Canada's north, so I know my mom has some great shots of her and my dad up at our old cottage in the 70s. I want to try and use my parents because I've never seen them as romantic, but more friends that appreciate each other. I don't know what I'll find but I may have to use some other photos of cottage country like the one above. 


In terms of materials I'll probably make copies of the photos and make a collage. Any additional photos will have to complement the vintage, timeless feeling I'm trying to capture. I will focus on the symbolism of the diamond and the effect its integration with something more organic has had for the listener visually. 

2 comments:

  1. I like this idea a lot and you should definitely be able to find some stunning pictures! Are you going to try and use black and white images? Or more sepia tones? It might be cool to keep them all the same tones but with one prominent colour (like a blue lake). Definitely a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea, Johanna. Be sure to consider how you will incorporate the quotation, and your paper should explain how this quotation reflects the relationship b/w your parents.

    ReplyDelete